It could be a lug for segmented fork. That would permit a really big
tire... maybe fat-bike sized tire? (Not sure if Riv would go for disc
brakes.)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/22538785@N05/4907380473/

It could also be used for segmented seat stays.
Like this one, but lugged. (Would also require oval stays...)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pwkrueger/8721684967/

--shoji