The problem with Phil Wood BBs and hubs isn't the bearings, but the lack of
seals for them. The black rubber shields are intended to keep out dust, not
water. So you basically have the bearings exposed to the elements... If you
ride in the rain, they won't last long. As you point out, at least they are
replaceable.

Regarding the SKF bottom bracket you installed, it sounds that either the
BB shell's threads are too small (worn reamer), or the SKF unit's threads
are too large. That would constrict the BB, reduce its diameter, and cause
rough running of the rollers on the driveside. The SKF does have a very
thin shell (to maximize space for the bearings inside and minimize the
weight), so it may be a bit more sensitive to misalignment, etc., than
other BBs with thicker shells. If your friend's BB is faulty, then it's
covered by our 10-year warranty, of course (which includes the bearings,
unlike almost all other BB warranties).

Jan Heine
Compass Bicycles Ltd.
www.compasscycle.com