For Rivendell-list-type bikes? I've clamped tubes, top and down, since I
bought my first Park stand in ~2003 (presently have a better one); and at
the bike shop we clamped tubes on steel and aluminum; never using any
padding except that which is part of the jaws. Since the Park had the old
"bolt in holes" clamp adjustment system, I've put considerable pressure on
many a steel tube with no ill effects.

I've clamped exactly 1 carbon fiber bike (Specialized Roubaix) but forget
if I clamped a tube or the carbon fiber seatpost -- Stevie, owner of shop,
watching me.