Uh, just came to think of something... those old Sun Tour shifters have a
rather coarse ratchet mechanism. Many times the stepping in between stops
in the ratchet does not allow for a good enough fine tuning of the position
of the chain for a nine-speed system, and you can't get the chain in line
of the cog just right. That can happen with the new and modern ratchet
shifters as well, but rarely.

Johan Larsson,
Sweden