I'm thinking of turning my road/touring Sam Hillborne into a mountain bike
and am looking for a tire for it. I have just begun my search and am pretty
sure the clearance on my Sam is too small for most of the modern 27.5"
mountain bike tires that are on the market. Does anybody have any good
suggestions for a tire?

There are two trails local to me that I'm thinking of using the Sam on.
Both are singletrack but the first one is a trail that doesn't have any
roots or rocks to roll over, it is a pretty nicely groomed trail that uses
that really fine gravel surface. It is nice and hilly and winds all over
these ridges in a federal park. I have a set of Fatty Rumpkins on the bike
now but the tire doesn't grip all that well to the surface of the trail
when it has wet leaves, which it does almost always. So, I'm looking at
something knobby. The second trail is very rooty and rocky in places, with
lots of leaves, some loose dirt but hardpack too.

Here is the setup I'm thinking about on the Sam for this. I won't be using
fenders but I will be using XT V-Brakes, Albatross bars, mountain triple in
the front with a Shimano "mega range" freewheel in back. The wheels are
Phil "Rivy" hubs laced to Dyad rims. I haven't decided on shifting but it's
a toss up between bar end or thumb friction right now. Thanks.