+1 for Hugh's observations.  LA is a huge beast if you just drop in, but
with local guidance you can find some great cycling.  The ultimate is to
explore the Bay Area, then head south on Hwy 1.  With some judicious use of
trains, one can skip over some of the really unrewarding riding areas.
Allow 2-3 weeks for optimal results.

dougP