Inadvertently, both my kids wound up with older, hand-me-down neighborhood
Novara (REI house brand) frames, Taiwanese-made with likely at least
10 and 20-years on each.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_bunik/15791036815/

As kid bikes go, these get a better-than-passing grade in my book -
well made, durable and not total hogs by any measure. I rehabbed the
20-inch "junior mountain bike" w/ some small uprights and newer
take-off brakes and shifters. Making sure that braking and shifting
are as simple and effective as possible is a must as a kid moves
beyond the venerable coaster.

=- Joe Bunik
Walnut Creek, CA