My 4.5-yo son rides an Islabike (Cnoc14). It's a wonderful bike--
lightweight, good proportions for small bodies, excellent components. It
has fender mounts; I don't think the 14" has rack mounts. I know that the
larger (16"+?) have rack mounts and specially designed+fitted racks as
options.

IMHO, Islabikes are not inexpensive, but worth it.

Leah--
(I'm don't think it was covered earlier in the thread.)

Is your child driving the change to alba-style handlebars? or is it the
Riv-thing? There's nothing wrong with flat bars, unless they're causing
problems (e.g., hand pain). Many kids bikes seem to have a fairly high
handle-bar position as a result of frame design.

Good luck!
Shoji