I don't have an Atlantis, but I've experienced shimmy on 2 of my Riv
customs (not on a 3d), both times starting to appear after years/miles of
riding them without a sign of the problem.

I have no idea what caused it, but among things that I did change " the
problem appeared were tires: from Turbos to Kojaks on the '03; from Paellas
to Turbos on the '94.

Other things that changed: Saddle ('94; Pro to Flite); fenders ('94, none
to some, Berthoud); drivetrain (both; free to fixed); dyne hubs ('94: none
to SON 28 to none; '03: non to SON 20R); and so on and so on.

Point being that, IME, any of a myriad of apparently little and apparently
very tenuously related things can cause it. I don't have shimmy on the
gofast.

It's not a huge problem for me, since I rarely ride no-hands.

What *I* want to know is how to stop cold weather squealing on salmon pads

On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Andy.M <andy.e.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Doug and I have talked about shimmy a bit involving our respective Atlanti
> (mine is a 56cm with 26" wheels) and it seemed that in both our experience
> that a high rear load equates to a shimmy.  To me, when loaded, the
> Atlantis rides the most stable with a low front load. For overnighters I
> usually keep the big saddle bag on the rear rack (which is there
> permanently and I deal with the slight shimmy if I make a big market trip)
> and front paniers.  With more low weight in the front the ride is smooth as
> glass.
> -Andy
>
> On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 4:22:10 PM UTC-8, hsmitham wrote:
>>
>> I'm on a roll here with another question!!
>>
>> On my Atlantis with about 5 to 6 lb load up front I have noticed the
>> front end shimmy with no hands (I realize that Riv say's or thinks I'm a
>> knuckle head for this practice) which is for only a brief time period, even
>> with one hand I can feel the and see the shimmy which is pretty violent
>> above 19-20 MPH so much so that lister Mike S. commented on it. Mike and
>> Riv claim that others have experienced the same and switched to the Tange
>> needle bearing headset resolving the issue.
>>
>> My question, has anyone out there experienced this phenomenon? And if so
>> did you switch to the Tange needle bearing headset and did it resolve the
>> shimmy or at the least reduce it. What Riv say's about more friction at the
>> lower race where all the force is received makes sense? I'd just like some
>> real world application confirmation. 'nough said.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for you experiences and feedback.
>>
>> ~Hugh
>>   Los Angeles, CA
>>
>  --

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

*The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a
circumference on the rim of which all conditions, distinctions, and
individualities revolve. *Chuang Tzu

*Kinei hos eromenon. It moves as the being-loved. *Aristotle

*The Love that moves the Sun and all the other stars. *Dante