On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 4:57:32 PM UTC-8, Jim Bronson wrote:

> Why?  Why, over and over again?  Because the racing philosophy has the
> mainstream and the LBS.  And it's not what serves most causal riders best,
> and I applaud Grant for calling them out for it.
> We all have seen at the LBS the times when some racerish young LBS
> employee is trying to fit an older person onto a racerish bike, that will
> not be well served by said bike.  Why is this what's in the mainstream?

I just got off the phone with three representative LBS's.  I asked them all
the same thing:  I'm going to send my 58-year-old neighbor in to see you.
He has average fitness, not bad, hikes on the weekend, hasn't ridden a bike
since college.  He wants to start riding on weekends, maybe work up riding
more regularly.  What kind of bike do you think he should look at first?
The shops were Black Mountain Bicycles, a large Specialized dealer, the
Performance near my house, and the Trek Super Store nearest to my house.

All three gave me the same answer: a flat bar road hybrid.  None said,
well, duh, a racing bicycle, of course, with drop bars three inches below
the saddle!  Then I asked about what tires would come with the bikes.  Both
the Trek and Specialized stores said, somewhere between 32 and 38.  The guy
at Performance said, 28 at the narrowest, but more likely 32 or 35.  Two of
the three asked if I knew whether my friend had back or neck pain, and both
suggested my friend should start off with something pretty upright.  The
guy at Performance said, well, I'd really have to talk to him to find out
what he wants to do with the bike.

So, are those answers OK with you, Jim?  How big a sample do I need to
persuade you that stereotyping the industry, LBS's, and a group of
cyclists, has the same value as other stereotypes?  By the way, do you know
what bike shops make the most money on, the largest margins?  Rubber and
softgoods.  If LBS's are as stupid and singleminded as you and, apparently,
Grant think they are, and if they are pushing bikes that will make people
uncomfortable, tell me, do you think their customers will come back and buy
rubber and softgoods?  Will their customers be excited about riding, and
bring their friends in to buy bikes?

Do I think the racerish sale has ever happened?  Of course I know that it
has.  There are poor salespeople, making inappropriate sales, in every
industry.  However, tarring the bicycle industry, and a significant group
of its members, all with the same brush, is not productive, and does not
reflect well on the speaker.  The whole nonsense of making an entire group
of people wrong so that you can feel superior just needs to stop.  And I
gotta tell you, I've never heard any of the racer-y people I know say,
those people on lugged steel bikes with alba bars sure are stupid and
brainwashed.

I refer again to Norma's last paragraph.  Clearly, she has gotten an
impression about Grant and about his positions, and it's not a positive
impression.  I'm betting that she is in fact a nice person, and not a
stupid one.  And, she's a cyclist!  However she arrived at her impression
of Grant ... well, you draw your own conclusions.