On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Pierre <pierre.lacha...@live.ca> wrote:

> If you're a performance-oriented type who rides saddle very high and
> forward, and you spin furiously toes down, you're probably going to be
> happier with either clipless pedals, or at the very least, toe clips
> with straps (and possibly cleated shoes with those toe clips).

I've gone the circuit from clips and straps to clipless of all kinds for  15
years. then back to clips and straps, then back to clipless for all except
my commuter (clips, straps -- snug) and grocery bike (flat, 1/2 mile
radius).

I am a saddle alllllll the way back masher -- I run out of rpm at much over
100, and am most comfortable from about 75 to 95, though I climb comfortably
as low as 40 rpm and sometimes much lower. I like clipless and strap
retention because (1) it keeps my foot from slipping off the pedals and (2)
because I very distinctly pull back and up, at least for short periods, for
more torque. I noticed this particularly on my gofast, on which I recently
installed Keos: the lock-in allowed me to power back and up more easily than
on my commuter, with snug straps and well-fitting slipons -- though I do
find myself pulling back and up even with the slipones and clips, (I used
slotted cleats on the gofast before I installed the Keos.) (Fixed or ss from
63" -- off road -- to 75" -- gofast.)

I *do* favor high saddles and a toe-down pedaling style.
--
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM