> the new schwalbe will probably be at least $50.  not what I consider
> inexpensive, especially for a tire that isn't performance oriented.
>
> in any event, quality tires are worth every cent.  in fact, I'm not
> aware of another component that can enhance the ride like fast
> rolling, comfortable, good handling tires.

I like nice comfortable tires and in fact am having a bike made
specifically so it can accommodate Hetres.

That said, I think it is wrong to discount the value Schwalbe tires.
The Schwalbe Marathon line is built to last yet provide reasonably
smooth riding and handling.  In my opinion, Schwalbes meet the
challenge as well as any tire manufacturer.  I used Marathon Supremes
with excellent results on three tours this year.

I have not had near the good luck with Continentals as I have with
Schwalbe.  Armadillos are pretty sturdy, but the tires - at least 4 or
5 years back when I last used them - deliver a harsh and disconnected
ride.

Moreover, while neither are available in 650b, it is also my opinion
that Schwalbe Kojaks and Big Apples provide have high levels of
performance, comfort and handling.