The plot thickens. All the feedback given got me thinking again, not sure
if that's good or bad...

I was pretty much set on selling the Atlantis, but... the question of
keeping only the Atlantis if I went to just one bike kept swirling in my
mind. I had definitely confirmed that between the Hunqapillar with its
Bosco Bullmoose bars and now a C17 Carved saddle which feels very nice and
the Atlantis with randonneur drop bars and Berthoud saddle, the Hunqa was
definitely much more comfortable for me. Even the comparison between the
Atlantis and the Homer, both of which have Berthoud saddles and randonneur
drop bars (although not identical) has me feeling more comfortable on the
Homer. But, the one thing I never did was try upright bars on the Atlantis.
I have several Bosco (non Bullmoose) and other similar Nitto variants that
I had used on the Betty, although I finally settled on the narrower regular
Bosco bars there, so I decided to test all those bars and see if the nature
of the Atlantis changed. The Bosco bars were quickly ruled out; even with
an 11cm stem, the top tube isn't long enough, the ends of the bars got in
the way, especially if I had to turn the handlebar while off the saddle.
The shorter narrower variants from Nitto were better, with the Nitto Grand
Bois Promenade that looks like a mini Bosco feeling promising, but when I
tried the Nitto Jitensha B2522 Touring bar and following that, tried the
Nitto Grand Bois Elysées, things really changed. Right now, after just some
riding outside sans-brakes to get the feel for the different bars, the
Nitto Grand Bois Elysées feel like they will be the key to the bike having
the totally different feel I was missing that the Bosco bars gave me on the
Hunqa. Upright for comfort yet allowing me to grab the bends when I'm
riding a bit faster. I used the 11cm stem I had and the reach seems
perfect. Feeling pretty excited, I decided to also install the Pass & Stow
rack I had removed long ago from the Hunqapillar to try it on the Atlantis
with a Freight Baggage Porteur Rack Bag I had gotten and never used.  The
Pass & Stow rack has an Edelux light I painstakingly routed through the
tubing of the rack, but since I hadn't used it on the Hunqapillar for so
long, I was also thinking of putting it up for sale.

Later this week I'll connect the brakes (with Paul reverse levers) and try
a C17 carved saddle to see how it compares to the Hunqapillar in handling
and comfort. I never put the steel fenders back on the bike, but if I like
how it rides, I'll probably do that and then ride both for a bit to see
which one I'd rather keep, and if so, would I dare consider coming down to
1 Riv bike only, or would it be back to keeping 2 or more. Or completely
renouncing the idea of downsizing the Riv bikes at all, and rather getting
rid of the Tallboys, which would mean that my son decides he won't mountain
bike at all, and in which case I'd let him borrow one of the Rivs whenever
he agreed to come on a milder trail/road ride with me.

Ahhhh, the things that happen when you consider getting rid of some of your
bikes... at least the whole exercise has me riding again, or so it seems.

René