I think the impact of a heavier bike is grossly overestimated. The worst
case for a heavy bike is a course where all of the climbing is long and
steep.  Let's take Anne's example. Let's assume 10K feet of climbing in a
200K (quite hilly), and a rider with a vertical ascent rate of 2K ft/hr,
which is perhaps a little slower than average. This rider would spend no
more than 5 hours climbing the worst case course -- the rest of the time is
spent descending and on the flats. In this case, a 5% slowdown in climbs is
15 minutes. In reality, with rollers and shallower climbs, effect of a
heavier bike is quite a bit less.

--Metin