I mentioned this in a different thread, but it seems like it deserves it’s own
thread (and has been discussed here various places before, which is how I knew
it might work).

My middle chain ring is now a 38t Raceface narrow wide (only took me four times
assembling and disassembling it to get all the recessed and pin bits going the
correct ways! Sardonic grin). I am not running a front derailer, so positioning
the chain to match the narrow-wide is easy with manual shifting, and I only
shift to the 24t when bikepacking singletrack.

Initial test ride (ten miles on singletrack and dirt road, half up, half down,
with a few steepish climbs to crank hard on, and lots of rough trail and
washboarded fast descents. chain never bounced off (it did with my old rings on
the rough stuff). We’ll see how it goes on this weeks bikepacking trip — mostly
dirt roads likely won’t need my 24t.

Thanks for opening me up to this possibility. The chain feels more solid than
the old ring (but an exact replacement could also feel more solid being new).

With abandon,
Patrick

www.MindYourHeadCoop.org
www.OurHolyConception.org