Edwin:

Your hodge-podge of luggage seemed to work out all right.  Good on you for
not being held back by not knowing what you need.  The best lessons are the
ones we learn by doing.  No doubt you found things you didn't need and
others that you'd like to have had.  The important things is you know you
can go out for a few days & enjoy yourself with what you had.

If you're thinking of a front rack, look at the Tubus Tara.  Tubus makes
all sorts of adapters so it may be possible to bolt it on even though your
fork doesn't have enough eyelets.  The Nitto big front rack that Rivendell
sells can also be fitted up with clamps.

dougP