I'm going to make some rambling observations and comments.  I can't count
all the bicycle transactions I have facilitated for other people.  Thirty?
Forty?  Many.  The most recent one shipped out last Thursday.  I'd say that
the whole process takes an absolute minimum of five hours.

- Travel to the seller, inspect the merchandise, call the buyer and discuss
and confirm, take care of the buy, take the bike home.  Yes, I have fronted
cash when the deal has been urgent.

- Find a box that will fit the bike but not create a windfall for the
carrier.  So, trips from bike shop to bike shop, looking for the right box,
and it may not present itself immediately.  Yes, I realize an over-sized
box can be cut down.  It still may not happen immediately.

- Disassemble and pack, pad and secure the bike so it doesn't move in the
box.

- Take it to the carrier.

Easy five hours all in, probably more.  The transaction that just about
finished me off a few years back was a very interesting and obscure early
60's Italian bike that I found on CL, outed on Classic Rendezvous, and
then shipped to NYC.  I lost ten bucks on the deal -- shipping cost more
than anticipated.  I never heard from the recipient again.  No "thank you",
and no ten bucks.  Thank you, A***, you're a class act.

It's possible that I need to adjust what I am willing to do as a favor,
maybe it's as simple as that.  Pick up a bike, and drop it at a shop for
packing and shipping?  Maybe that makes more sense.  That's easy.  That's
cake.  What's a reasonable shop rate these days, maybe $75 an hour?  So,
figure the shop will charge for about an hour of time, on top of the
shipping cost.

Anyway, I'm just rambling on the subject.  Having said all of that, I had
two favors done for me in recent months by BOB listers.  One was a pick up
and shuttle of a frame from LA to San Diego, and one was a pick up
and shuttle of a bike from Sacramento to Marin (which actually turned into
a simple hand-off to a friend of mine in Davis).  Both shuttles took some
time, as the guys waited to fit the trips into their normal travels, and
that, of course, was fine.  I owe both parties, and thank you very much!
:-)

~pb