Everything looked to be going well. Blue skies. Bikes both working properly.
Stiff headwinds and steep climbing requiring LCG (lowest common gear, aka
hike-a-bike). Then they were there. Da da DA!

My kryptonite. My doom. New telephone poles laid out mile up on mile in the
middle of nowhere waiting to be planted, freshly coated with creosote tar and
who knows what other horrible scents blowing up in my brain. Despite the winds
of 30-40 MPH, the scents clung to an amazing degree. Part of the world-wide
conspiracy against me. Sardonic grin. After reaching the crest of one hill I
could see them laid out ahead as far as the eye could see and farther than even
my schnoz can smell. We turned around, hoping to clear the area quickly between
the descents and the tailwind. It worked!

But what to do. No cell reception. No access within my daughters stamina to
remote trails. There are campgrounds along the Platte River North of Deckers.
Let’s find one and make a night of it and then figure out what makes sense in
the morning.

The ride there went very well. Riding roads with my daughters has gotten so
much easier since I’ve told them to ride where the right wheel of the car would
be, unless the shoulder is 4’ wide or wider. Cars slow down and go around.
Amazing!

The campsite was great! No one there (that would change). River to ourselves.
Next to the road, but not much traffic. Of course we forgot it is Spring Break
and just how close this section of the Platte is to Denver. 1am the revelers
arrive. Just as they were talking about building a bonfire, the blessed
rain/snow/sleet hit. All became quiet and went to sleep till morning! Thank you
Saint Joseph for looking out for my poor noggin!

6am came. Scents from the laundry of the college crowd waft in. We pack in a
controlled hurry, hit the road back to Deckers, stopping for breakfast and a
welcomed sunrise (and warmth!) at a secluded spot on the river.

I decided that was enough flirting with brain overload for me, so after a
credit card eating pay phone SNAFU (not to be confused with SMAFU) and bizarre
game of phone tag, my wife picked us up and we are home a day early, having had
a wonderful time of completely different adventure than we’d set out for.

All in all an excellent and fitting start to the bikepacking season!

Photos prove adventure comes no matter which way you go!:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/32311885@N07/sets/72157649211285774/

With abandon,
Patrick

www.MindYourHeadCoop.org