Patrick,
Sorry to read about your experience.  I get yelled at every so often by someone
who takes out their frustration on me.  My favorite occurred one morning along
a busy 6 lane road.  I ride on the sidewalk for three blocks in a super busy
stretch.  As I was crossing the road in the cross walk with the walk light, a
car turning right slammed on his brake and yelled at me, "Get the *#%^ out of
the road, #%^^+*!"  I just waved.  I try not to engage drivers when they
challenge me.  There are too many folks in the world with a short fuse.  What
has worked best for me has been: to obey all stop lights and stops signs when
cars are around, not to ride to the front of a line of cars at a stoplight so
they have to pass me again, and to hang a few American flags on my bike.  Since
I have been doing these things my incidence of poor/dangerous treatment has
declined.  I will again state that I do not verbally engage drivers.  I know
others do, but I am not confrontational by nature.  It has never worked for me.
 One thought, can you time your trips on this stretch to less busy times of day?
All the best,
Erl