I know you already solved your problem, but FYI, Shimano also has some
nicely polished basic skewers. I think they're called "steel skewers"
or something generic like that. They are about $12-15 each. The
standard length for a 135 mm rear is 168 mm.

Alternately, twine and feathers really dress up those unsightly black
skewers, and for cheap!