I would have a long chat with him. The first question we should always
ask in these cases is, "What kind of riding do you want to do?"

Is this bike to be exclusively for triathlons and triathlon training?
Does he have any other bikes? How competitive is he in triathlons? Is
he interested in any other kind of riding-- the kind we on this list
like, exploring, doing sub24s, commuting, riding on dirt and gravel,
randonees?

If my friend wanted a dedicated triathlon bike, I'd sent him to a
store where they sell dedicated triathlon bikes and wish him well in
his competitions. If he would be satisfied with a bike that was a bit
slower than a dedicated bike, but could do other things too, then we
could talk.

--
-- Anne Paulson

It isn't a contest. Enjoy the ride.