It is common and OK to cut off the unneeded part of a seat post.  I have
done it, or you could take it to a bike shop with a good mechanic and have
them do it. Lots of modern bikes require extremely long seatposts and the
excess routinely gets cut off.   A couple of years ago I bought a beautiful
used Saluki and was surprised to find that the classic Suntour Superbe
seatpost had been cut pretty near the minimum of what I needed.

Michael