Disc brakes are tough, I wouldn't worry about road-side fixes. Mechanical
discs are easy to work with but you need to carry an extra tool (torx).
Hydraulic are proven, I don't personally know anyone who has had an issue
on the road. Even when they need maintenance and feel spongy, they still
have more effortless braking than any rim brake I've felt.

I think it's more likely for you to break a few spokes than to completely
kill a brake on a ride, and a wobbly wheel makes the rim brake useless
while the disc can keep going.

Personally, a full hydraulic brake set up with flat bars is a complete game
changer on a dirt bike - it is worth every penny additional cost and worth
the trouble of bleeding. On a road bike, less benefits for sure. On a drop
bar bike, even less benefits. Still, I just spent a lot of money building a
Soma Triple Cross and the TRP Hy/Rds feel fantastic, no regrets there.

Admittedly,  there is a necessary "beef-up" of the tubing required for disc
brakes, and it certainly ruins the clean lines that Rivendell is so great
at doing. I don't see Riv going into it in any near future.

Also, benefit-per-dollar, a $10 V brake is better than 90% of the brakes in
the world haha.