Hey Matt,
Maybe a best option is making it a five speed with some cheap bars and a
cheap thumby. Yank the extra CRs and the FD. This allows the use of a
chainguard too - which can be nice in some cases. I have built a bunch of
bikes like this for my extended family members who were heading off to
college. The only exception was for one of my nephews I built the right
bike into a single speed at his insistence. I add that last part because it
didn't matter to my nephew what anybody else thought. He wanted a SS and
that was that. But definitely yank anything of value. More than few of the
bikes I have built were lost to theft in college towns. And when they are
gone they never resurface, IME.

Chris
Redding, Ca.
....and what is the 'hangtown' part of your handle mean/refer to? I am
guessing Placerville.