I went out today in hi, hi humidity, almost certain it would rain.  I chose
a light weight synthetic jersey but skipped a rain jacket, despite the fact
I was almost certain to get rained on.   I also skipped wearing a helmet.
Sure enough it poured.  The rain hurt my face but as for clothing it made
not one wit of difference what I was wearing.  I was waterlogged from head
to toe.  I did however enjoy every inch of the ride.

Under most conditions - temps below 85, sunny to light rain - I prefer
light weight wool.  Otherwise it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Michael, in the very green mountain state of Vermont.