+1 on Crawford's book.  If anyone wants a preview, I often assign this
reading in
class:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24labor-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0.
 It was in the NY Times Sunday Magazine section when his book came out.
 I'm also enjoying Richard Sennett's book, "The Craftsman".  Very
interesting look at doing work well for the sake of the work.  Probably
resonate with a lot of people in this group.  Of course, when I get too
detached from Christopher's point, re-reading "Zen and the Art of
Motorcycle Maintenance" is always a good reset switch.

Back to the garage for some re-humanizing...
John