Jeff's plan is pretty sound with not that much back-tracking.  here's the
page for the camping info on the
C&O, http://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisit/camping.htm

No water still at Swain's Lock at mile 16 (though i think you can get water
at the concession stand at Great Falls), so bring more water then you think
you need.  Technically you're not supposed by more than 2 tents per site,
but i've never been kicked off the few times i've camped along the trail
(including the one time 30 boy scouts showed up....).

For anyone planning to drive and park, you have to print out a pass ahead
of time and place it in your car if you want to leave it overnight now.