The past few hours have been an emotional roller coaster, to say the least.

Driving home from work, I was coming down 2nd street in Harrisburg.  I
always turn left at Market St, to head over the Market St bridge.
There is a bike rack at the corner, and I usually sweep my eyes over,
still hopeful that I will find my bike.

I literally couldn't believe it when I saw it chained to the rack.  I
quickly parked on a side street, fed the meter (not enough, as I ended
up with a $30 parking ticket), and sat down on the concrete benches
outside the Dauphin County Administration Building.  Homeless people
often hang out here, and many of them gave me a wary eye as I sat
there for over two hours.

My Ram was one of four bikes chained to the rack when I first arrived.
Around 5:30, a kitted-up commuter came out and started to fiddle with
the rack.  My heart was beating out of my chest, until I realized his
was a different bike.

Not much happened until 6:00, when someone started serving food to the
homeless at the bus station across the street.  All of the men that
had been sitting near my bike got up and walked over, except for one.
I started to get really nervous, thinking that this guy was on to me,
but nothing ever came of it.

Shortly after that, a man came up to the rack, and unlocked an orange
Mongoose MTB.  My heart raced again, but now I was just hoping the
police would get there before something else happened.  With only two
bikes left, I noticed that my Ram and a BMX-type bike were actually
sharing the same lock.

I tried calling Harrisburg police again, but they couldn't give me an
ETA on when they would arrive (the HPD is 1.5 blocks from where my
bike was found).  Frustrated, I tried calling my local PD again, and
was able to reach the officer that had originally filed my report,
back in December.  I talked to him for a few minutes, and he said he
would drive over to Harrisburg.

Skip forward to almost 7pm.  A guy I'd seen hanging around comes over
to the rack, and begins to undo the lock.  I kept fairly still,
sitting 15 feet away, but had the video cam running on my phone.  At
first I thought he was going to just take the BMX bike and relock my
Ram, but then he wrapped up the cable and took both bikes off the
rack.

Now I was starting to get panicky.  I couldn't believe that after six
months of missing my bike, and 2 hours of sitting on a concrete bench,
that I was going to lose it again.  I stood up, only to keep filiming.
The guy slowly rolled the bikes across the street, toward the bus
station.  My heart was sinking.

Just then, the officer from Camp Hill (my town) pulled up to the
intersection.  I waved my arms at him and pointed to the guy rolling
the bikes across the street.  He saw me, and pulled into the bus
station, where the guy had stopped with the bikes.

I hung back a little, but was close to enough to hear the
conversation.  My bike had been in the possession of a homeless man,
who had bought it from a hardware store down the street for $30(!!!!).
The officer talked with him for a while, and then Harrisburg PD
finally showed up.  The officer from Camp Hill took the bike with him,
as I still need to prove that it is mine (didn't have the serial
number).  The man who had the bike was let go, and the dozen or so
homeless people watched it all unfold from the bike rack where my bike
had been.

The bike has definitely been outside a great deal since it left my
garage in December.  There are a number of scratches on the top tube,
and the Honey B17 looks like it has aged years.  The headlight I had
mounted to the left side of my fork was dangling, rubbing against the
spokes.

But to think that the bike I love so much is on its way home...it's
almost too much to comprehend.  The bike that was my first Father's
Day gift in 2005.  The bike that has towed our son for hundreds of
miles; first in a Burley trailer, then a trail-a-bike.  The bike that
rode alongside him as he learned to ride on his own.  The bike that
had given me so much joy, and been part of so many of my memories...is
almost mine again.

Thanks for reading,

Mark