I converted my 60cm Ram to 650b:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/leslie_bright/8351739256/in/album-72157623199721925/

(try looking forward and backward from that photo in the album).

When I originally built it, it was as a fendered 700c-32; had marginal
clearance, but as I'm not a little guy, was getting occasional scrubbing
(tire-shape-deformation as my weight moved around);  I switched down to
28's for a bit for the clearance, but, I really wanted bigger-not-smaller
tires on there.
Since I have a 650b Bombadil and could borrow its wheels, all I needed to
buy to try the Ram out as a 650b was a set of calipers, went with the
long-reach Tektros.   My original calipers were R538's, had to switch to
the 559's. Front was fine, but on the rear, I needed to deepen the slots of
the calipers to get the pads lower so that I wouldn't get the pad into the
tire.

Thing is, I went w/ Hetres, which are more like a 650b-41, fatter than a
38.   Thing is, the Ram has a low BB, so you run the risk of pedal strike
if you go w/ a narrower 650b;  but a 650b-42 range tire is really close in
height to a 700c-27.

I'm running 172.5 cranks on this bike; I've not had any pedal strikes, but,
I've contemplated switching to a 170, just for a margin of safety.  (I
don't aggressively pedal through corners either;  but if you're CC-touring,
I don't think you would be either?).

I don't carry a lot of weight on this bike;  a tube/patchkit/tools in the
saddlebag, and stuff a jacket and a sandwich in the front bag.... If I have
a load to carry, I'm taking the Bombadil instead...

-L