Yes, but as seen below it was an index shifting drive train that had some kind of failure first (when "indexing got finicky"). Switching to friction left that underlying problem in place.

Reviewing the bidding, if indeed the cassette and chain and cables and housings are new, I'm wondering if switching to a different cassette was tried, and I'm wondering if the cable is correctly attached to the derailleur. There are several possible ways to route the shift cable back there, and "alternate routings" are used to alter the cable pull. Quoting from Sheldon's site:

   Alternate Cable Routings

Two alternate cable routings for Shimano derailers adapt them for use with nonstandard shifters or cassettes.

Shimano originally publicized an alternate cable routing which placed the cable slightly closer to the pivot, making the derailer move slightly/farther/for each click. This adaptation makes newer Shimano derailers work witholder Dura-Ace <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html>shifters, but it is also useful when you want to use a 9-speed cassette with 10 speed shifters, or 8-speed cassette with 9-speed shifters, or a 7-speed cluster with 8-speed shifters. You may need to fine-tune the amount the cable deviates from the standard position, so the derailer sweep matches the sprocket spacing.

cable routing to increase derailer travel

The other alternate cable routing, suggested by Brian Jenks, proprietor of Hubbub Cycles,/decreases/the derailer travel for each click. This makes some Shimano derailers and shifters compatible with Campagnolo cassettes. It is also useful when you want to use a 10-speed cassette with 9-speed shifters, or 9-speed cassette with 8-speed shifters, or an 8-speed cassette with 7-speed shifters. You will then lose the use of one sprocket, unless you are using a shortened cassette such as an8 of 9 on 7, or 9 of 10 on 7 <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#897>. Note the two tabbed washers in the drawing below -- one to change the cable routing, and the other to secure the cable. Again, you may need to fine-tune the cable position.

cable routing to increase derailer travel

Unlike the Dura-Ace modification, the Hubbub modification is nonstandard, and not all of the ratio changes are accurate. Chris Juden of the Cyclist Touring Club (U.K.) has posteda Web page listing usable combinations <http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946>.Pulley-type adapters from JTek Engineering <http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm>offer a more precise alternative.

Also, some cassettes (the 9-speed 12-27s I make my 13-30s out of) have several loose sprockets and spacers in addition to the ones on spiders. Is there a chance there might be a problem with that, so that the cassette isn't consistently spaced? Incorrect torque was also mentioned.

As for ghost shifting when running with friction: it's common, thanks to Hyperglide design. You don't get much in the way of audible or tactile feedback when you're not spot on in adjustment, and the chain is quite happy running on two sprockets at once. Load the drive train up and BAM you get a hard shift to - in my case - the smaller sprocket. Call it a design issue or user error; it's not necessarily in any way related to the underlying problem, in my experience anyway.

It's also possible that what the LBS said was checked might not have been checked competently. We're only assuming that. I've had friends complain about how newly serviced bikes were working to the point they said they'd just "brought the bike in for a tune-down" because it shifted worse afterwards than before the work was done.