I recommend dropping the fork and taking a look.  I just went through this
exercise and was surprised how little lubrication was in the original
bearings.  It is fairly easy to clean the bearings, re-lubricate and
reinstall.  If you've never done this before it's better to learn on this
headset than any new expensive upgrade you might talk yourself into.  By
the way, I tossed the cages and old bearings and reinstalled new loose
balls.  Eliminating the cages allowed me to install 14 additional ball
bearings; 7 top and 7 bottom.

Matt