All of my bikes have triples 24/36/46 and I've had one with a  50/38/24 ...
I've never actually had problems with chain length. .. all I do is size it
to small small with the slightest tension and go with it.      I don't want
to give up the big.. and I ride in the 36 or 38 most of the time up front..
however  the 24 saves me often.
A 24/36 climbing gear when fully loaded gear and otherwise.  I don't get
that extreme with a compact double.  Either I don't get a big enough top
end or not lough enough bottom end.    When I had plastic bikes the 50/34
was all I had for hill days so 34/27 was best I could do.. yuck.. :)  So
just throwing my vote out there for the triple.. :)  I love em.. :)

I do have a 42/24 White industries double if anyone is looking  :)  My wife
kept running out of gear with flats and tailwinds so I got her a Rene Herse
triple.

Now if I was in shape and strong I would totally agree with the compact
double :)

With respect .. old fat and slow me :)

Kelly