This mornings mail brought me this note from my son in ElCerrito about our
34 month old granddaughter, Xingyue, (aka, XYZ)  and her bicycle exploits.

"here are some recent snapshots... mostly of the kid and a few of the
garden.

it's time to start picking hops. of my 6 hop vines, 2 died, 2 struggled and
muddled through and 2 went ape shit. i was able to get the four survivors
through to harvest just on rain water from the cistern, though we're empty
now.

the yearly neighborhood criterium came to town this weekend. while i barely
checked in on le tour this year, i wasn't beyond walking one block over to
watch the local yokels-- the course orbited the playground anyway. xyz took
part in her first bike race, or any "organized" race. i was sort of leaning
against it, thinking it best to keep her away from that sport until she is
old enough to mountain bike and drink beer (i mean really drink beer). but
fun was had by all. we got to the startline to learn the race was for 4yo
and up. nobody had asked us at registration and nobody asked at the line.
so onward she raced. she navigated the whole course, half up a gentle
slope, without a push... the cat's out of the bag next time she's looking
for a little parental motor power uphill! afterward she asked if there
would another race."

Here are a pair of photos (hopefully I have now wrestled Flicker to a
draw).  First Album: Tour de El Cerrito
https://www.flickr.com/photos/25287678@N08/sets/with/72157656400472092

Michael