I agree. $600 to get a 25" bottom gear is rather high. A 34/36 with a 28-32
700c tire gives you about a 25" low. A 24 t granny with a 28 t big cog and
the same tire gives you a 23" low. If your rd can handle a 28 t cassette it
can handle a triple if it and the chain are properly adjusted.

What sort of hills are you climbing?

--
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM