Stephen:

To your specific question, I suggest 35 mm as a minimum for loaded
touring and my personal preference is Schwalbe Marathon Supremes but
as you can see others have had good success with other brands as well.

Some info on routing & resources:

Anne is spot-on in her assessment of 101 thru Arcata & Eureka.  As you
enter Arcata from the north, exit Giuntoli Ln and go right.  I believe
there is a visitors center about where Giuntoli bends left and becomes
James Rd.  This is the bike route into Arcata.  I guarantee you'll
meet some interesting characters there!  The bike route is Highway 255
Samoa Blvd around Arcata Bay.  255 makes a left and goes over a large
bridge to reach Eureka and the bike route is signed thru Eureka,
avoiding 101 until the edge of town.  If you have time before leaving,
get the Humboldt Bay Area bike map from Natural Resources Services,
904 G St, Eureka, 95505 (j...@rcaa.org); tel 707-445-0884.

Don't miss Ferndale (south of Eureka / Arcata).  It's the gateway to
the Lost Coast, which connects to Fort Bragg.

In San Francisco, stay at the Hostel International at Fisherman's
Wharf (actually in Ft Mason).  It has decent access to public
transportation and locked bike storage.  The downtown hostel has no
provision for bikes.  Rates are the same and of course you meet
wonderful people at hostels.  As you come off the GG bridge, follow
the bike route signs inland along the marina.  Ft Mason is on the
first rise you'll come to and is only a mile or 2 from the bridge.

When you leave San Francisco, head back toward the GG bridge and hug
the coastline rather than go thru the city.  Find the Great Highway
and head south.  Take jog off into Golden Gate Park if you haven't
visited already.

Anne's caution about the Devil's Slide is well founded.  Unless you
are comfortable in heavy traffic with no shoulder, it's not
advisable.  However, the really hairy part is less than 2 miles long
(but is climbing!) so if you hit it mid-day you're not in it too
long.  The option is to take Highway 35 inland (where 35 & 1 cross).
35 is Skyline Blvd. and has a frontage road where it's limited
access.  It runs along a ridgeline so has a great view.  You can drop
back onto 1 either on 92 into Half Moon Bay or take Canada Blvd to
Woodside as Anne noted.

The hostel at Montara is especially cool and IIRC about 12-14 miles
north of Half Moon Bay.  There is another hostel at Pigeon Point but I
haven't stayed there.  When you get to Monterey there is a hostel
right in town, just a short walk from the aquarium.  It's reasonably
priced and has bike lockers.

Unless you absolutely positively have to ride every mile, I suggest
hopping the train across LA to Orange County.  You can catch Amtrak in
Ventura, Simi Valley, etc. and start riding again in Santa Ana or
Irvine.  Amtrak only has 3 bike spots per car and can be arbitrary
about handling your bike as luggage.  A cheaper and more user friendly
system is Metrolink (the commuter rail system, sharing the same
tracks).  Metro goes as far up as the east end of Ventura but has more
stops.  Both lines run thru Union Station in downtown LA so if some LA
sights are in your plan that works.  Metrolink tickets also work on
the LA Metro subway line.  Do your homework on crossing LA before you
start.  It's size makes it more challenging than other big cities.

Hope I haven't exceeded a maximum word count!  Let me know if you have
questions or want more info.

dougP