A novel I read recently about race in US (and Africa) by an African
woman--great different POV:
Americanah
Novel by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
The Ibis Trilogy by Amitav Ghosh which I had been waiting for the third one
to be published and it came from the library the day I was leaving for a
two week vacation this summer--a perfect event.It takes place mainly in the
lead up to the Opium Wars between England (and it's proxy India) and China.
The first one which has an amazing sea journey which focuses on the
language of the sailors (lascars) which in itself is worth the time spent
reading it. The plot of characters and the historical fiction and
descriptions of India and Canton are icing on the cake. The first book is
called Sea of Poppies.
(I like to read about different cultures.)
As for me, right now I'm looking at a lot of photo books. Saul Leiter,
Richard Kalvar, Alex Webb.
So little time...