On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 6:53 AM, Allingham II, Thomas J
<thomas.alling...@skadden.com> wrote:
> That's one of the saddest things, to me -- she loved the bike, but doesn't
> want a similar replacement. She's afraid it would be a thug magnet, and has
> decided to go back to commuting on an old gas pipe Schwinn. It's a shame.

I sometimes think that, depending on the location, Rivendells can fly
"under the radar".  I shared this story previously, but my Ram was
stolen from my garage back in December.  I ended up recovering the
bike about six months later, when I was driving through downtown
Harrisburg and saw it locked to a bike rack in front of an office
building.  It was in the possession of a homeless man who was
certainly not the thief.  He had no idea what the bike could have been
worth to an interested buyer.

When I got the bike back, dusty, dirty, headlight dangling off the
fork, I realized that many people (around here) might look at my bike
and think it was some old bike-boom-era 10 speed.

Obviously Harrisburg and Philadelphia are two different worlds.  And
although I started to lose hope of ever recovering my bike, I never
stopped looking...every bike rack, every alley, every open garage.
Any flash of color that remotely resembled my "Rambouillet Blue"
grabbed my attention.

So glad she's safe, and I wish her all the best.

Mark