I recently tore part of the weld an in the direction that would have been from
putting it up into the riding position.
I have used them on several bikes and I had one directly mounted to the
kickstand plate on my Saga. On my last tour I noticed some fender rub that I
have never had before. When I got home I discovered the worse, it had pulled a
small amount of the plate off the frame, which appears to have torn the weld
off the frame. I'm unsure if it did any permanent structural damage but I will
probably replace a frame I loved.
My excuse to get a new Rivendell touring frame soon.
I personally will never use another double again, it's just not worth the risk.