I'm surprised Compass even went to 38, never mind 42. Jan's theory has been
that whatever the wheel size, there is an optimum sweet spot for plushness,
speed, handling, and it so happens that when you measure wheel plus tire,
the total circumference is almost equal. I think it is something like 700C
= 32mm, 650B = 42mm, 26" = 52mm. When you start going beyond a 700 x 35, I
think the handling starts to get a bit weird. Plus your bike starts to get
pretty jacked, unless it was designed for monster tires to begin with. I
rode a bike with 700 x 41C Nimbus tires for a few years in the early 90s. I
wasn't such a tire snob back then, and I've since heard the Nimbus series
were considered dogs(no doubt stiff sidewalls, they were probably also
belted), but it was about the only thing going in a wide road tire back
then. I found it just fine for city riding, but a bit sluggish in the
turns. The bike was built with those tires in mind, but there was barely
any clearance, never mind fenders.

I realize he sells tires, and so the BQ Jan must accommodate the Compass
Jan, and Compass is already beyond his stated optimums in both 700C and
650B with the latest tire offerings (and I may go for a pair of Switchbacks
at some point.) But anyway, at some point, how much is enough already? He
has even said the Rat Traps are occasionally a bit overly bouncy on the
road.