I love it. Another "I didn't stand my ground" decision that is going to
cost me. I don't need a triple. I will NEVER use that big ring. NEVER. So
even if it WAS worn, it would not matter. I shifted up to it once, to make
sure the FD worked (it didn't, but it didn't shift DOWN the small ring that
I DO use).

I used to ride fast. I never really wanted to, but I did want to ride far.
My options were: ride alone, or ride fast with the roadies. I was hit by a
car head-on with the car going about 55mph. The PTSD from that is real --
car crashes are the leading cause of PTSD. Four and a half years later, I
have even less interest in ever riding fast. So what the hell am I ever
going to do with a 48 tooth ring? "You're in Seattle, you need a triple."
No, I don't.

Not really the shop's fault. They asked what my opposition to the triple
was and I said "I just don't need one." But I also said "I'll try it."
Tried. I was right, I don't need it. I don't need so many damn gears,
either. I have not ridden a derailleur bike in about 4.5 years (guess what
happened to that bike?). I do most of my getting around -- in hilly
Seattle, where this is supposed to be impossible -- on a 27 pound 3-speed
Brompton. Yeah, I walk up some hills. And every time I think "maybe I
should have gotten that six-speed," I ride it and, eh, it's fine. It is
still my most-used bike and it will probably stay that way. My other bikes
are an 8-speed Retrovelo and a 3-speed Raleigh Sports.