I guess I get that explanation.  And that would probably suggest that the
46 might be the best choice.  The on-the-bike fit would feel familiar, even
though the seatpost would be extended a *lot* further than I currently
perceive as "correct," and she'd be higher in the air (the whole point of
doing this would be specifically to get her on significantly fatter tires,
so she can carry more and ride more comfortably on rougher roads), and
there would also be way more standover clearance than she needs. Hopefully,
the sloped top tube would yield a higher headtube than the 50 Ram, so that
her stem could even extend a little less.  The 51, on the other hand, might
not give her *enough* standover clearance.  Since there are
(intentionally?) no standover heights listed, its hard to know for sure.
 You guys who can test-ride are fortunate.

I guess, now that you point out the error of my thinking, what I'm really
still having trouble with is trying to relate the new limited/expanded
sizing system to the old system that had more increments and, in this case,
looking incorrectly to the bottom bracket drop and standover height for
explanations as to why they fit so differently.  That's been hard enough to
understand even for me, but even harder trying to speculate on her behalf
since she doesn't think about this stuff enough to be able to articulate
what works and what doesn't.

I've long felt like I had a good handle on what her next Rivendell would
be, based on this current bike that fits fairly well, combined with the
thought that I could ratchet it UP one more small increment.   But I
probably just need to let go of those preconceptions.  Not unlike my old
WTB phoenix which, numerically, is 3" or more smaller than would fit me on
any other bike of the era but actually works great, maybe the way to
properly size a Rivendell nowadays is NOT to get the biggest frame you can
straddle.