I enjoyed your story, Leah. You're a good writer!

The new CEO I serve rides a carbon "triathlon" bike.  When I met him we were
standing 20' from my mystery bike, and he was willing to take a look. Cast lugs
with gold-lined cutouts, lots of steel tubes (some curvy), leather saddle,
nickel-plated racks and a freeking basket. Struggling to come up with a
positive response, he leaned over the drive side, saw the derailer and
congratulated me on the great X7 model (it was an LX viewed upside-down).  Be
patient!