I think you may have misunderstood what Jan writes.  The only place he goes
all the way to 20mm of clearance that I know of is when you are scoping out
whether or not you have clearance on your frame.  He writes you shoudl have
15mm between the fork crown and the tire or the rear stay bridges and the
tire, but then says 20mm is even better.  Most people do not have 20mm of
clearance between the tire and the inside of their fender.

Most folks measure the clearance from the inner fender surface to the tire
when they talk about their fender clearance.

Some people like about 10mm from tire to fender.  Some consider it good
enough if their tire isn't rubbing.