Leah, First of all, I'll agree with KC that you husband is one lucky man!  The
saddle tilt doesn't look bad to me, that's about the same as I have on my bike.
 Lots of guys like them tilted quite a bit.  Of course it's all personal, so
just help him get it adjusted to his liking.  As far as shifting goes, I'll be
counter-Rivish and suggest that if he prefers indexed shifting, there's no
reason why he shouldn't have it (other than money, if course).  You'll need a
set of indexing shifters to match the number of gears you have front and rear,
and appropriate mounting for them.  If he decides to go that route, work with a
good bike shop or come here for advice.  Cheers,
Steve