After spending some time on a long Proto Hunqapillar here are my thoughts.
Apologies to surly for the blatant rip off!

Long chain stays are cool...So are short...Long chain stays are not
magic...but they might agree with your riding style and what you like to do
on a bike...if they do you will love and evangelize them...if they don't
you wont.  But to say they are just flat better, well um everyone is
entitled to their opinion.  For my fitness level and what I do on a bike.
I like shorter better.  But think they are both cool.  If you feel the need
to sell your current Atlantis for the bit of extra length that is
great...But I wouldn't, and this is after having some time of a longer bike.

Thanks,
Richard