Jan's observations on tread design makes a lot of sense to me, and I think,
having had roly-poly,ruffy tuffy and Jack Browns, (along with Compass,
panaracer, pari-moto, Michelin, and Schwabe marathon racers, and avoctes)
that GP believes the same.  The concern I often have with tires, especially
since retiring, has become sidewall life.  Given that I have three singles
and a tandem, it takes us a long time to wear out the tread and casing on
good tires, but I begin to worry about solar driven deterioration in the
sidewalls.  I don't like to even think about a hi speed front sidewall tire
failure; but given the price of tires I hate to discard tires with a good
looking base.  How long, regardless of mileage, can a rider rely on the
sidewall?

Michael