Sounds like his saddle should be raised. I'd think with a growing kid
that'd be something that would need to be done periodically.
As far as the drag: brake pads too rubbing on rim (OR) wheel bearings not
adjusted properly or need grease
The bike's geometry could have to do with feeling more comfortable standing
up to pedal, maybe top tube to long for what he needs, standing up gets
closer to handlebars.
David
Chicago