If you determine that the clicks are forcing you to put the shifter in a
bad intermediate position, I will point out that I've confirmed that a
Silver Downtube shifter will work on the Sun Race thumbie base.  That means
you could experiment with a "real" friction shifter on that base to see if
you get better results.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA