Is the XT hub sealed or loose ball bearing?   I'm not sure it even makes  a
difference, but for loose ball and many sealed bearing hubs, this is an
extremely easy swap.   If you don't have a disposable 135 donor hub/wheel
lying around, from which you can steal the axle, they are available from
Wheels Mfg:

 http://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/all-axles.html

Then, you also need 5mm worth of spacers, also available at Wheels Mfg.:

http://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/axle-spacers.html

If you are not comfortable re-dishing the wheel, you can put 2.5mm spacers
on either side, beneath the lock nuts.   However, it is easier and works
better if you add all 5mm to the non-drive side.   This locates the
cassette at the typical left-right position, relative to the dropout.  You
do have to re-dish slightly, but that has the gives you the added bonus of
a more symmetrical and stronger wheel, too.   It's such a minor amount that
it is easy to do with the wheel mounted on the bike, using the zip-tie
method.  Just start with an identical 1/4 to 1/2 turn on every spoke,
alternately loosening or tightening as appropriate, and you'll probably
find that you're almost there.