Hi Mike,
Since you have a canti-Sam, I think you could use a Nitto Mini Front.
That's the one that bolts through the fork crown and uses the braze-on
mounts just below the canti-mounts. That rack is fine with medium Wald...
maybe even large Wald. (See Manny's pics).

I use the Nitto Mini Front (sometimes with basket) with v1 Mark's HAR.
Works great for me, even w/o hoop.

If the wide canti's are causing clearance problems, I do recommend the
Shimano CX70. For me, they worked better (stopping wise) than Tektro
CR720s.

Here's a pic of my Hunqapillar with the then-new HAR+bags.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stakx/14795951410/in/album-72157634163491121/

Good luck.
shoji